Tuesday 21 July 2015

Steve Smallman Q&A

It's Poo in the Zoo week and today we have a Q&A with author Steve Smallman, writer of Hippobottymus, Big, Bad Owl, Bear's Big Bottom as well as countless others.

Steve Smallman has taken up writing his own stories after illustrating children's books for over 30 years. He also teaches illustration and mural-painting workshops in schools. When he's not working, Steve enjoys films, television, gardening and walking in the countryside.




BWB: How did you come up with the idea for Poo in the Zoo?
SS: Actually, It wasn't my initial idea, the publishers, Little Tiger Press came up with the title and asked me to write it. It took me three goes; the first was too predictable, the second unprintable and the third was just right!

BWB: Do you have a favourite animal in the zoo?
SS: I really like giraffes, maybe because I was tall and skinny (and spotty) when I was young!

BWB: Do you have a favourite animal poo?
SS: Well, I haven't really given it too much thought but, I suppose elephant poo; impressive  but not too stinky.

BWB: Do you prefer to write or illustrate?
SS: I like to do both. I need to draw, it's part of who I am but I really enjoy writing too. I like to illustrate my books every now and then just to keep my hand in but I'm mostly happy to let someone else draw the pictures  (especially when it's someone talented like Ada Grey!)

BWB: Where's your favourite place to write?
SS: I actually type up my stories in the hall at my house but for planning new stories, coffee shops are great and dog walking is good for mulling over ideas! ( I did get strange from other dog walkers, talking through Poo in the Zoo out loud!)


Thank you Steve for a wonderfully stinky Q&A! If you would like the chance of winning a signed copy of Poo in the Zoo, simply leave a comment below or RT this tweet and follow me! More Poo in the Zoo fun tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment