Thursday 25 August 2016

Interview with David Litchfield

David Litchfield is an illustrator from Bedfordshire in the U.K. He is represented by The Bright Agency. David first started to draw when he was very young, creating Star Wars and Indiana Jones ‘mash up’ comics for his older brother and sister. Since then David’s work has appeared in magazines, newspapers, books and on T-shirts. He has also exhibited his illustrations in both solo and group shows in the U.K, Europe and America.


BWB: What inspired The Bear and the Piano?

DL: Lots of things really. The idea initially came from a very quick sketch I drew in my sketchbook of a tuxedo wearing bear playing piano. I really liked the idea of these two different worlds colliding. The big scary grizzly bear playing soft tender piano music. But the story line reflects a lot of the decisions we have to make when we are following our dreams and have to step out of our comfort zones.


BWB: Will there be another book featuring the musical bear?

DL: Yes indeed there will be. I don't think I can say too much about it as Its very, very earl days. I'm very excited by it though as its not a traditional sequel and t takes the story in a very cool and interesting direction. 


BWB: Are you musical at all?

DL: A bit. I used to play guitar in bands a few years ago. But the only person who hears me play now is my 4 year old son. He thinks I rock :)


BWB: You’ve created quite a few book covers over your career so far. Which one is your favourite to date?

DL: I loved the one I did recently for the re-issue of 'The Jungle Book' by Faber Classics. It was such a big honour to have been asked and I think I did a pretty ok job.


BWB: Can you tell us what you’re currently working on?

DL: Well, I'm getting ready for the release of two book I illustrated which are coming out this September, 'The Building Boy' by Ross Montgomery and 'Miss Muffet, Or What Came After' by Marilyn Singer. Thats all hugely exciting.

But, I have just finished my second author/illustrator book 'Grandad's Secret Giant'  which is not out until April 2017. Its an idea I have had in my mind for quite some time so I'm really happy that I was given the opportunity to create it. I can't wait to hear what people think to it.

This summer is a busy one as I'm working on a few other books that will all be published over the next couple of years. Today I'm making a start on the final artwork for Teresa Heapy's  book 'The Marvellous Moon Map'. Its published next year by Penguin Random House and its going to be bloomin brilliant.


Massive bear hugs to David and Ellen for making this interview a superb one! If you want to see more David's beautiful work visit his website here. David’s award winning first picture book ‘The Bear & The Piano’ (published by Frances Lincoln) is out now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment